Dual Credit: Frequently Asked Questions

Who may participate in the Dual Credit Program?
Junior and senior students that are in good standing and enrolled in the school district may register for dual enrollment courses. Freshmen and sophomore students may enroll upon the recommendation of the parent and high school principal. 
Can I take courses independently at Lamar Institute of Technology?
Students attending a high school who is partnered with LIT may take courses independently from their high school at Lamar Institute of Technology. However, LIT can not ensure that these courses will count for high school credit at your high school. For this reason, you are encouraged to work with your high school counselor if you are seeking concurrent credit for courses taken independently. Dual Credit Students pay $50.00 per credit hour. These fees do not include the cost for additional resources such as books and supplies.
Will the Credit(s) earned at Lamar Institute of Technology transfer to other institutions?
All core curriculum courses have been converted to ensure that if you decide to leave for another institution, your credits may transfer. To see if a course will transfer to a college or university in Texas, visit www.tccns.org
As a dual credit student am I allowed to take online courses?
Yes, please be aware that courses taken online are considered independent courses and you may be liable for additional costs such as books and supplies.
Can parents request course progress and grade information from Dual Credit instructors?
No, College instructors are required to follow FERPA regulations and release of dual credit student educational information to the parent violates federal law. For more information please visit Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Who will teach the course?
Dual Credit courses will be taught by LIT faculty or SACSCOC qualified faculty within the school district. 
Online Learning - Minimum Computer Requirements

In order to take an online course, your computer equipment must meet the following requirements:

When will courses be taught?
Credit and non-credit courses may be offered online or during the day/evening on the LIT campus or at the local high school.
How do students apply for dual enrollment courses?
Students should apply early for dual enrollment classes at Apply Texas (https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/gen/c_start.WBX). Students will be notified by email of their application status.
Do I have to take the bacterial meningitis vaccine?
All students attending Texas colleges and universities are required to have the bacterial meningitis vaccine. You may, however, be exempt if you 1) are enrolled in online or other distance education courses; or 2) are a student enrolled in a dual credit course which is taught at a public or private K-12 facility not located on a higher education institution campus.