The Learning Lab is LIT's main study space, located in Room 101 of the Eagles' Nest building.
- It is the perfect setting for individual learning or study groups.
- The Learning Lab is also the designated location to seek and receive tutoring.
- 24 computers and a printer is available for students to use. Printing fee is 10c per sheet.
- It offers access through computers to the Mary and John Gray Library.
- Hours of operation:
- Fall and Spring semesters: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Friday
- Summer: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday
Supplemental Instruction: SI
- What is SI? It is a nontraditional form of tutoring that focuses on collaboration, group study, and interaction for assisting students in undertaking "traditionally difficult" courses.
- Why SI? It targets courses with a minimum 30% rate of students that drop, withdraw, or fail, and then provides a trained peer who has successfully negotiated the course to assist its future students. Through 50-minute SI sessions, students are provided with course-specific learning and study strategies, note taking and test taking skills, as well as the opportunity for a structured study time with peers.
- SI Supported Courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology I (BIOL2301) and II (BIOL2302)
- English Composition I (ENGL1301)
- Contemporary Mathematics (MATH1332)
- College Algebra (MATH1314)
Need help in a particular course? Need a refresher on subject material? Want better learning and study skills?
- LIT offers individual tutoring and/or Supplemental Instruction for students. We make every effort to find a tutor in any subject requested. Tutoring is available upon request.
- To request a tutor contact: 409-880-8187.
- Students who are interested in tutoring may sign up at any point in the semester. We encourage students to sign up early in the semester to avoid scheduling delays.
- Benefits: research shows that students who sign up for tutoring within the first four weeks of the semester are 43% more likely to be successful (earn an A, B, or C) in the course for which tutoring is received.
Virtual Tutoring: SmarThinking
- Connect with certified tutors who provide live, 24/7, on-demand tutoring in a variety of subjects – including Business, Math, and Science.
- SmarThinking offers a writing lab feature where you can submit written work to be reviewed within a 24 hours notice.
- Where do I access SmarThinkink? Access SmarThinking through the tool link found in any course you are currently enrolled in.
Mary and John Gray Library
Students must have their student ID validated at the library, and then they can access the catalog and the electronic databases.