Regional Fire Academy - Certificate
The Regional Fire Academy is a semester-long certificate of completion program which prepares the student for a career in fire protection and satisfies the basic training requirements of the Texas Commission on Fire Protection for structural firefighter certification. The Fire Academy is offered in the Fall and Spring semesters during the day.
All cadets entering the Fire Academy must meet the minimum standards which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pass a physical examination using National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) criteria
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Possess an honorable discharge from all military service
- Possess either a high school diploma or a GED certificate
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess a valid social security card
- Pass the WorkKeys Workplace Documents Assessment-with a score of 5 or better, if student has passed English 1301 or 1302 they do not have to take the WorkKeys assessment.
A WorkPlace Documents assessment test is required for students. The Workplace Documents assessment measures skills that individuals use when they read real workplace documents and use that information to make job-related decisions and solve problems. The documents include messages, emails, letters, directions, signs, bulletins, policies, websites, contracts, and regulations.
During the student’s course of study, they receive certificates for hazardous materials awareness, and hazardous materials operations. Students successfully completing the Fire Academy receive a certificate of completion, 18 semester hours of college credit, and are eligible for state basic structural firefighter certification testing. Graduates of this academy should be prepared to pass civil service examinations and the various employment tests given by government agencies. Upon state certification, graduates are eligible for International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) Seals for Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Hazardous Materials Awareness, and Hazardous Materials Operations.