Regional Fire Academy
A Firefighter Training School in TexasYou will be certified through the Texas Commission on Fire protection as Fire Fighter I, Fire Fighter II, Hazardous Material Awareness, and Hazardous Material Operations.
What Will I Learn?The main duties of a full-time firefighter are to help protect the public in emergency situations. They respond to a wide variety of calls, such as car crashes, chemical spills, flooding, water rescue and general rescue as well as fires. With many fire crews being trained as first responders they can provide first aid until the arrival of ambulance personnel. In addition to attending emergency call outs and rescuing people and animals from life-threatening situations, the job entails:
- using sophisticated firefighting and rescue equipment
- promoting fire safety via talks, advice and training sessions
- inspecting and enforcing safety standards in commercial and residential properties
- demonstrating the use of firefighting equipment
- performing practice drills
- working with police and ambulance service personnel
- undertaking physical and academic training
- checking and maintaining vehicles, equipment, hydrants and water supplies
What can I do with this CertificateThis certificate, along with Emergency Medical Training (EMT) will allow you to be eligible for a job in any department in Texas. It is also good In other states as well. Lamar institute of Technology also has an EMS program.
Degree RequirementsAll courses in the recommended program of study require a grade of 'C' or better.
Lecture Hours: 12
Lab Hours: 20