The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Rules require that all students in Texas public colleges and universities comple the TSI Assessment. The purpose of the TSI Assessment is to determine a student’s degree of college readiness.
All students seeking an Associate’s Degree and certificate programs that are 43 semester credit hours or more are required to take the TSI Assessment, unless exemptions are met. Certificate programs with less than 43 semester credit hours and requiring Math and/or Writing will require a student to take certain parts of the TSI Assessment as a prerequisite, unless exemptions are met.
Before a student can take the TSI Assessment, the TSI Pre-Assessment Activity(TSI
Pre-Asseeement Activity) must be completed.
To register for the TSI Assessment, please see the cashier’s office in the Beeson Building to pay for the exam. You must bring your receipt and Testing Center Exam Form to the Testing Center in Building T1 Room 106. For additional information, call the Testing Center at 409-839-2027 or email
- A graduate with an associate or baccalaureate degree from an institution of higher education.
- A student who transfers from a private or independent institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and who has satisfactorily completed college-level course work of at least 6 equivalent credit hours (three algebra, three designated writing/reading course ) with a grade of “C” or better.
- Partial Exemption: at least three credit hours of College Algebra exempts from the developmental math requirement, at least three College hours of approved designated reading/writing classes exempts from developmental reading AND developmental writing.
- Transfer from any public Texas institution of higher education with completed requirements for Texas Success Initiative (TSI). Transcript must be evaluated by the transcript evaluator.
- A student who is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. Documentation is required.
- A student who on, or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard, or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
- A student not seeking a degree.
- ACT composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on both the English and Math tests. All scores must be attained in one sitting. Scores are valid for five years.
- SAT combined verbal and Math scores of 1,070 with a minimum of 500 on both the Verbal and Math tests. All scores must be attained in one sitting. Scores are valid for five years.
- TAKS (exit-level) - 2200 in Math and/or 2200 in English/Language Arts (ELA) with a Writing sub score of at least 3. Scores are valid for
- STAAR end-of-course (EOC) with a minimum score of Level 2 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for both reading and writing, and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for the mathematics section. Scores are valid for five years.
- Click here to view TSI exemptions at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board website.
363/4 or 5 in WritePlacer Essay
TSI Informational Brochure (before testing)
TSI Interpreting Your Score (after testing)