The Student Health Center is committed to providing quality physical and mental health care to the students of Lamar University and Lamar Institute of Technology. We offer many services, including the following:
- Examination, diagnosis and treatment of acute illness or injury
- Evaluation of lacerations, wound care; sprains and strains.
- Diagnostic laboratory procedures
- Gynecological/Well Woman/Contraception counseling and exams
- Over the counter pharmacy items – clinic pharmacy
- Confidential STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing and treatment
- Immunizations, titers, TB (tuberculosis) testing – allied health physicals
- Mental health counseling with licensed counselors
- Substance abuse counseling
- Referrals to specialists as needed
- Health education and outreach by licensed staff, in collaboration with student peer educators, to organizations, residence halls, classes, or individuals on a variety of health-related issues pertinent to the university population.
$10.00 fee will be billed to your student account for each visit to the Health Center. Medications, lab tests, and procedures will incur additional charges which will be applied to your student account. Beginning September 2016 we will file on Academic Health Plan student insurance and Tricare. It is your responsibility to inquire about charges before accepting service.
Appointments are required for all services. We will make every effort to accommodate our patients with a same day appointment. Please be on time for your appointment. Students more than 10 minutes late will be rescheduled. If you are unable to keep your appointment, call 409-880-8466 at least one hour prior to your scheduled time in order to avoid a $10.00 no show charge.
Knowing that college students face many pressures and challenges, our counseling staff aspires to provide the guidance and support needed to assist students in achieving academic and personal success. Licensed mental health professionals are
available by appointment, call 409-880-8466.
After hours, on weekends and when the university is not in session, healthcare becomes the individual student's responsibility. Call 8311 for emergency services. Any expenses incurred for ambulance service or off-campus medical needs are also the responsibility of the student. Students are encouraged to maintain some form of health insurance to cover these expenses, as they can be quite costly. Detailed information regarding health center services is available at http://students.lamar.edu/student-engagement/student-health-center/index.html .