All students admitted to Health Information Technology Program will be screened for a Criminal Background.
The clinical agencies used by LIT are required by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations to ensure that personnel having contact with patients be free of any past or present criminal behavior that might jeopardize the welfare of the patient or personnel.
To comply with this requirement, the following criminal histories will disqualify an individual from consideration for admission into the Health Information Technology Program:
- Misdemeanor or convictions/deferred adjudication or felony convictions/deferred adjudication involving crimes against persons (physical or sexual abuse).
- Misdemeanor convictions/deferred adjudication related to moral turpitude (prostitution, public lewdness/exposure, etc.)
- Felony convictions/deferred adjudications for the sale, possession, distribution, or transfer of narcotics or controlled substances.
- Registered sex offenders.
All applicants must submit to a Criminal Background screen. You must have this screen completed prior to the application deadline of
April 15th. The application committee will access the records online; so applicants do not have to submit a paper copy of this record.
The Lamar Institute of Technology Health Information Technology Program has chosen CertifiedBackground.com as an approved source for background checks. CertifiedBackground.com is a background check service that allows students to purchase their own background check. The results of a background are posted to the CertifiedBackground.com web site in a secure, tamper-proof environment, where the student, as well as the HIT program can view the background check. Please follow the instructions below to order you background check.
- Go to www.CertifiedBackground.com and click on “Students.”
- In the Package Code Box, enter package code: LA02
- Select a method of payment: Visa, MasterCard or money order.
Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password via email to view the results of your background check. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours.
Phone number to reach Certified Background is 1-888-666-7788.