Students that are interested in a career in Health Information may complete an Associate of Applied Science degree or a Certificate. There is an application for each program.
- Individuals that plan to apply to the LIT Health Information Technology Program must apply and be accepted to Lamar Institute of Technology and Lamar University (if needed).
- Complete the “Application for Admissions”. There is a separate application for the AAS degree and the certificate degree.
- Complete and deliver a Criminal Background screening.
- Must meet all requirements of Texas Success Initiative (TSI). (COMPASS, ACCUPLACER, ASSET).
- Applicants must deliver official transcripts from all previous college(s) and/or technical school(s) to the Program Director of Health Information Technology. Transcripts must demonstrate a minimum of a 2.5 GPA on all college work, including transfer, academic and technical courses for consideration of acceptance into the Health Information Technology Program.
- Applicants are required to spend 24 hours volunteering in a health information department. (written verification required)
- The following requirements must be sent to the Program Director of Health Information Technology by
- Application for Admissions
- Official transcripts
- Examination scores
- Volunteer documentation
- Background check information
- Written notice of acceptance into the program will be sent to each applicant after the application deadline. Notices will be sent to the address on the Application for Admissions.
- Applicants accepted to the program will be required to attend an orientation session on a date to be determined by the Health Information Technology Program. Applicants will be notified of the date.
- Applicants not accepted must reapply with a new application and new transcripts.
Applicants are responsible for supplying official transcripts.
The program will not furnish this information.
The number of students admitted to the Health Information Program is limited. The number of students is dependent upon the number of clinical sites available.
Selection of students will be based on those students with the greatest number of points.
Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications.
- Have a 2.25 GPA on all college work, including transfer, academic and technical courses.
- Completion of all requirements of Texas Success Initiative (TSI).
- Completion of both semesters of Anatomy and Physiology (BIOL 2301, 2302, 2101, 2102) with a grade of “C” or better.
- All students admitted to Health Information Technology Program must complete a Criminal Background screen.
Students are selected based upon the points they earn for the following criteria:
- College GPA (2.5 GPA = 2.5 pts). The overall GPA must be 2.25 to be admitted to the program.
- The grade point equivalent for each of the required academic courses which are completed with a grade of C or better. i.e., A = 4, B = 3, C = 2
- Applicants will earn one point for completion of each required academic course. This includes those completed in the spring semester. (proof of enrollment & current grade must be submitted by
- Applicants will earn one point for those applicants who have at least one year previous medical experience in a patient-care related field. (written verification required)
- Applicants will earn two points for completing volunteer time by April 15th. (written verification required)